Monday, September 10, 2012

FIDDLER IN MY WHITTIER


When it comes to doing cool stuff in Whittier I am always the first in line. Normally that entails a great pastrami sandwich or a nicely made dirty martini with three olives. This weekend was different though my wife and I decided to go to the Whittier Community Theatre and take in a play. Fiddler on the Roof one of Broadways most beloved plays and winner of nine Tony Awards. This production rolled right in to Whittier’s back yard for a three week run. Now this review is coming from someone who doesn’t frequent “The Theatre” very often. I don’t act, I don’t sing but I have seen a few plays in my time and I enjoyed most of them. When I walk in to any theatre I hope to be entertained and I hope the production is up to snuff and I let my eyes and ears take it from there.
 
photo from audesapereveritas.wordpress.com

The acting group has been together
since 1922
Come out and enjoy a play!
Classic, cozy, historic Whittier Theatre
50 years old built in 1922
 
So what did my eyes and ears tell me? Well, I live about 5 minutes from the Whittier Community Center so that was great. My wife and I found parking right away and took a nice little walk up to the front entrance. To our surprise there was a long line of people waiting for tickets and everyone seemed excited to be there. The line moved quickly and soon we had our tickets in hand and made our way in to the Theatre. I had never actually been inside the theatre before so I was pleasantly surprised to see another cool piece of Whittier’s past. It is a small theatre, cozy and the seats are old but surprisingly comfortable. The crowd filed in and I could not help but notice that the crowd demographic was one of a much older set I’m 43. I was a little bummed by that but not because of the age factor but because I had never been to see a play here in all of my years living in Whittier. I should have been going to see plays here and my friends and family should have been doing the same. I had no idea all of this was going on right under my nose, duh!

Soon the lights dimmed and the play started.



Tevye the Milkman
played by Richard DeVicariis
did a real nice job!
"Tradition"
 

I was amazed at how quickly I was transported to Anatevka. The story of Tevye and his family is wonderfully told by the charming group of actors. Highlights include the sweet tender moment between Tevye and Golde  during  “Do You Love Me” and the heart felt “Far From The Home I Love”  sung by the talented Mackenzie Rae Campbell this girl can sing! It was indeed a nice way to start off my Whittier weekend. As a whole the production was really good and I enjoyed it I was entertained throughout and thought all of the actors did well. As I said I am not an expert on these matters but I found myself laughing and clapping and enjoying the overall experience. (That is what matters right?) At the end of the day that is what I took from my night out at the Whittier Theatre. My wife and I were able to enjoy a classic story being told on stage in my own city and it was a great way to start our weekend. The Theatre is funded by donations and proceeds help the Theatre stay alive. 


It was a good night try and make it out to the
Whittier Community Theatre
Motel the Tailor played by Jay Miramontes
my wifes favorite character of the night. Tzeitel played by
Amy Anderson.


The play started at 8 sharp and ended around 10:30 there was one 15 minute intermission and Starbucks coffee and sweets were sold. Restroom access was easy and you can even take a little walk outside and get some fresh air if needed. The second half of the play was great and seemed to end quick. The actors took a bow and they were available after the performance for a meet and greet session. My wife and I decided the night was still young and we decided to go hit Jack's Salad bowl for a late night meal. We sat and talked about Fiddler on the Roof over some Whittier food. It was a good night. If you haven't been to the Whittier Community Center to enjoy a play please do yourself a favor and check it out.

Whittier Community Theatre's box office opens 30 minutes before each performance.  Friday and Saturday evening performances begin at 8:00 pm.  Sunday matinees begin at 2:30 pm.
For reservations call (562) 696-0600

For more information go to:

http://www.whittiercommunitytheatre.org/index.htm

3 comments:

  1. It was a really good night all of the actors did well! I appreciated it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the glowing review. I played Motel the tailor in the show and regardless if you are a "Theater Person" or not, the fact that you enjoyed yourself and took the time to write this and recommend it to others is so very gratifying. The actors on stage do not get paid and are simply performing because they love the art. We hope to see you at other productions in the future and look forward to your opinions because at least to this little Jewish Tailor, they matter just as much (maybe even a little more) than some jaded "I've seen everything" theater critic. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Motel!!! I mean Jayson. No thank you and cast and crew it was a really cool experience. I admire anyone that can get up there and do what you guys do for the love of it. I looki forward to going again and I will be spreading the word. We need to get that place filled with Whittier peeps! take care Jason great job!

    ReplyDelete