Thursday, February 7, 2013

WHITTIER'S HISTORIC MOVIE THEATERS

When I was growing up in Whittier going to the movies with the family was always such a big deal. I loved it! That got me thinking about all of the movie theaters we had in Whittier over the years. From the Pussy Cat Theater to the Sundown Drive In. Here is a walk down memory lane. If you enjoyed any of these theaters as much as I did please feel free to leave comments. I would love to hear about your experiences.

 
The Wardman Theater a.k.a The Pussy Cat
 

Actual employee name badge from one of the workers there. Thanks Geraldine this is classic!
 



 
The Whittwood Theater located at the Whittwood Mall Shopping Center
 

The Whittwood Theatre was located on the Whittwood Mall lot next to Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor. A charming community theater, it ran first run features from its opening in 1964, until it closed in the mid-1980’s. The last movie to play the house was “Splash”. Among it’s features were a modest-sized lobby and a raised stadium style seating area at the rear.
Who could forget the Whittier Walk In? I enjoyed many movies here in the 80's

Actual movie ticket! This was sent to me from a friend of my Facebook page Mary Ann Morgan.
 

Side shot of the historic Whittier Walk In I miss this place it was the cornerstone of my childhood memories.
 
 
 
Wood Haven Historic Pictures gives you a view of the inside! Pictures available on Ebay
 

Actual Snack Bar shot wow I actually had a few hot dogs from this little snack bar stand :)
 
 
 
Sundown Drive In
 

Pile in the car and head through these gates to enjoy a movie out doors in Whittier
 
 
The kids area at the Sundown Drive In
 

Starlight Theater is our only theater and I really enjoy it. They do a great job and even have a classic series going every Monday check it out.
 
7038 Greenleaf Ave
Whittier
 
Box Office Opens Daily at 9:15am
 
Recording Number 562-907-3300
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You know, before the Whittier Village Theater was the PussyCat... it was just the Whittier Uptown Theater. I remember as a 11/12 yr old walking from Katerine Edwards Junior High (we lived across the street) all the way to Uptown on the railroad tracks to go see a movie. it was $.75 to see 2 movies. I saw Billy Jack and they had a special showing 2001 Space Odyssey! Went with Paul Otero, my neighbor, Big Steve and Little Steve (can't remember their last names) my sister Joy and I know there were other kids with us. The ticket booth in the middle? That's where you actually bought your tickets!!! Man that was a fun time of my life.

    ReplyDelete